Social Problems II: Crisis, Conflicts & Challenges
Sometimes our world is filled with problems. Explore more of the challenges we face as individuals and as a global society and learn what we can do to reduce the effects of these conflicts and problems. From drug abuse to terrorists to homelessness and obesity, we can better face and solve these problems when we have a deeper understanding of their causes and influences on our lives.
In this unit, we will examine the effects of modern society on individuals. Some have argued that the changes in society over the last century have created negative effects for individuals. We will examine the problems of alienation, anomie, and the loss of community. We will also consider problems in developing personal identities today and look at how society may be contributing to youth suicides.
What will you learn in this unit?
- Learn about alienation and anomie in society and their effects on individuals.
- Discuss the issues in developing personal identities in modern society.
- Investigate whether individualism is declining.
- Examine whether communities are decreasing in modern society or changing form.
- Discuss youth suicide and how modern society may affect it.